Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Beginning

I'm coming out of the closet: I am a beauty fiend.

As superficial as the subject of this blog is considered, beauty is highly complicated.   There is a reason that all too often we cannot pinpoint what, exactly, makes a person beautiful.  And yet we so quickly make the assessment based on our innate, animal attractions.  We can almost instantaneously evaluate a face and determine its desirability.  We may not like this about ourselves.  We may fight against this instinct; claiming that looks do not matter and it's what is on the inside that counts.  But the fact is that we have not evolved past this primitive instinct.

While beauty is easy to identify, the code is difficult to crack.   It has taken me years of countless hours of research to understand.  My mind is presently bursting with all of this knowledge. Obsessive? Perhaps.  But fascinating nonetheless.  And now I'm ready. Ready to apply my knowledge to my face, and ready to share my journey with other smart women who know that you CAN have both beauty and brains.  You do not have to choose.  This belief is shared by Guiness World Record holder Cindy Jackson, as demonstrated by this (cheesy but surprisingly profound) 90's talk show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynsr3G9v86Q.  While the extent of her procedures may sound extreme, Cindy eloquently demonstrates that carefully-planned cosmetic procedures can and do change lives for the better.

                                                   Cindy before and after her transformation

I am not ugly, mind you, and neither was Cindy.  Many would say that I do not need surgery, and I have worked to minimize the number of surgical procedures my own transformation will entail.  I have a healthy view of my starting point -- a "cute" 24 year old woman.  But I believe that leveraging my knowledge will give me that extra icing on the cake.

I sense some criticism coming, so allow me to be on the defensive for a moment.  If an interior designer gets lauded for crafting beautiful interiors, why must a woman be criticized for creating a beautiful face?  It is a fact that most women care about their appearance.  The aisles and aisles of female cosmetic products in grocery stores, the barrage of anti-aging ads, and the disproportionately large number of women undergoing cosmetic surgery are just a few examples demonstrating that the burden of appearance is on women rather than men.  As such, dismissing these desires (or rather needs, as I would argue) as vain is a form of discrimination as such an action would be heavily leveraged against women.

Furthermore, while the primary  intention may be vain, I have concluded that facial form and function go hand in hand.  We find well-developed facial structures attractive because they are an indication of health, and defined features are markers of humanity that the eye wants to catch onto.  Characteristics of these facial structures include jaws that are forward in the face, defined cheekbones, wide smiles, overall facial balance, and good skin.  These features denote large airways, a good diet, and a healthy lifestyle. 

So there you have it.  It's about form AND function.  Beauty AND brains.  I can't wait to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment